Looking to hire a forklift truck on a long term lease? Here’s what you need to know...
So, you need to hire a forklift truck to facilitate your business needs, but how should you go about it? What do you need to consider prior to committing to a truck or hire company and what will you be responsible for, do you have the necessary insurances in place? Finally, what should you expect from the company supplying the machine?
A forklift truck hire contract may be anywhere between 1 and 7 years so it’s important you choose the right company who can provide you with the best machine and service.
Top 5 Tips for Hiring a Forklift Truck
Don’t get caught out, follow these tops tips to make sure your business receives the best service and the right truck for the job!
- Ensure you choose a machine suitable for your application – a reputable and knowledgeable forklift truck provider should be able to advise you on this, but you should provide details such as –
- Load to be lifted
- How high do you need to lift?
- Fuel type e.g. diesel, gas, electric. (this may depend on the environment you are using the vehicle in)
- Do you have low doors or mezzanines that you need to move under?
- Are you loading / unloading containers?
- Maintenance and Breakdown cover – ensure that your contract includes full maintenance and servicing of your machine, as well as breakdown cover, as loss of use of your forklift truck could be significantly costly to your business. Look out for companies that provide a replacement machine after 24hr downtime to ensure peace of mind.
- Ensure that the service cover provided on your forklift truck covers the shift pattern the machine will be used on.
- Ensure that the forklift truck you are hiring has a current “certificate of Thorough Examination” or conforms to LOLER (lifting operations and lifting equipment regulations)
- Be aware of normal exclusions to a hire contract, which might include:
- Operator damage or misuse
- Fork wear
- Tyres / punctures
- Consumables, including oil; fuel; bulbs; filters; grease etc
We can supply:
When choosing your provider make sure…
They are reputable and able to provide you with the service you expect in terms of personnel and support. As a business you need local support from a local company. A Google local search for forklift truck hire in ‘your area’ will provide you with those companies most likely to provide you with a full level of service for your company needs.
Finally ensure that the intended operator of the forklift truck you hire is adequately trained and licensed to drive and operate the vehicle.
All of the used forklift trucks that we have available to purchase are also available to hire, and you can feel confident that we only ever supply machines which are well-maintained, fully serviced and proven to offer the reliability and great performance that you need. We offer long term hire packages which can be tailored to your individual needs, as well as contract rental options if you need something for a slightly longer duration.
Whatever your budget, we can help you to find the best hire option for your business to ensure that you have the equipment that you need on site without spending a fortune